In March of this year, the National Capital Area Council Executive Board made the difficult decision to cancel or postpone all in-person Scouting meetings, events, and activities due to COVID-19. Since that time, Scouting has successfully continued through our Scouting at Home program. We appreciate the great effort of our volunteers and staff in making this happen.
Recently, the states and counties comprising NCAC have started to relax COVID-19 restrictions related to in person gatherings. This is good news and has many people excited to resume face-to-face Scout activities.
As there is a significant variance in the state and county phased reopening programs being implemented across our Council’s territory, it is difficult to provide an “all inclusive” statement for all of our NCAC units. As such, we would like to provide the following general guidance regarding resumption of in person Scouting activities.
- The Unit Key Three should determine what activities and in person gatherings are permitted for the county in which the unit is chartered.
- The Key Three should then work with the adult committee to determine if the unit is prepared to begin in person meetings or activities.
- If consensus exists among the adult committee members, the Key Three should consult with the Chartered Partner to secure their support for the resumption of in person meetings or activities.
- It is the responsibility of the unit’s Key Three and adult committee to understand and ensure all state/county restrictions and required Covid-19 safety precautions are taken. Units traveling to other states/destinations for camp/activities are responsible for knowing and adhering to the restrictions and precautions of those areas.
- Units following the restrictions and administering the precautions are covered by the BSA insurance program.
- In addition to precautions required by states and counties we ask you to incorporate the processes included in BSA’s Restart Scouting Checklist as you resume unit activities.
We know everyone is excited to begin outdoor, in person Scouting activities. We ask that you “do your best” to follow the guidance provided here and work with your adult committee and chartered organization to ensure a safe Scouting experience.