March is the time in the Scouting program year where we work on getting ready to get our youth back outdoors and to get them ready for the next adventures in the Scouting program. The Council-wide Virtual Roundtable will help you Be Prepared for the Spring and Summer ahead.
We will discuss Adult Leadership Training as our Group Topic before leaders go to their particular Program Breakout Sessions.
In the Cub Leader Roundtable session we will be joined by Justinian Dispenza from the Eastern Shore Permaculture Institute (ESPI), who will be talking about Bug Hotels.
Here is how Justinian and ESPI describe this fun Cub Den/Pack activity:
Bug hotels have grown in popularity over recent years, and it’s no wonder why. They’re fun to design, fun to build, and fun to observe as the seasons go by.
The session will cover:
- -Why bug hotels are an important addition to habitat conservation,
- -How to design, gather resources for, and build your bug hotel,
- -Where to place it and what insects to look for,
- -And How this little project can help protect your garden/flowers from pests.
As we’ve become more aware of the plight of pollinators and the need to protect and encourage them, solutions like insect hotels offer pollinators and beneficial insects a safe and protected place to winter-down in a world of perfectly manicured lawns and prolific pesticides.
The Scouts BSA breakout plans to cover three Interest topics:
- Alan Deter, NCAC Advancement & Recognition Committee, “Current Eagle Rank Advancement Process”
- Chris Cooper, NCAC Training Committee, “Powder Horn Training”
- Lorrie Hartwell, NCAC Sea Scouts Advisor, “National Youth Leadership Training”
Each breakout session will also help you as leaders with your questions and concerns.
In the Main Room, we will offer “Ask A Commissioner” your opportunity to ask the NCAC Commissioner for help with a particular issue or insight on the Scouting movement.
We plan to offer these Council-wide Roundtables now and in the foreseeable future to supplement what you can get from your local District Roundtable – we look forward to seeing you and your fellow leaders on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.
George Costigan, Bill Desmond, and Dave Rockwell
Your NCAC ACCs for Roundtable