The Great STEMaTHON Invitational includes a Rube Goldberg Challenge for all youth and adults. The aims of the Rube Goldberg Challenge are to apply STEM to create a series of chain reactions, in an over complicated invention, that performs one simple task: rolling a can of food a distance of at least 1 foot. Design yours and send it in to be featured – see below!
RUBE GOLDBERG CHALLENGE
• Design a RG contraption that rolls a can of food at least 1 foot.
• Bonus, incorporate as many of the below elements as you can:
o Points for each type of simple machine
o Points for each “step” in the “chain”
o Points for rolling multiple cans of food, or longer distances
• You can work with one friend/classmate/parent/grandparent, or with a team/unit.
• If submitting a video of a Rube Goldberg contraption with a team/unit, multiple videos stitched together are acceptable! However, each video clip must have at least 3 machine ‘steps’.
• Submissions are due by 9/2/2020 11:59PM EST.
• Submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org via Google Photos or Dropbox. Please include the names of your RG team and grade levels (adult), so we can give due credit. If you’d like to submit your video another way, please send us an email!
• Your video will be featured in the STEMaTHON on September 5-6, 2020 (or bloopers reel!)
See more on STEMaTHON here.